A recent trend has been spirazling foods, such as carrots, zucchinis, apples and squash. Spirazling is the art of turning veggies and fruits into noodles to create a healthy, low-carb, low-calorie alternative to pasta. This cooking method creates a gluten-free, paleo, vegan/vegetarian friendly way to eat. You can top with your favorite protein or sauce, or add the noodles into a salad for a little more substance, like we did with this recipe! This recipe is quick, easy and makes for a light, healthy meal or side dish. If you need a little more sustenance, add in some organic meat or plant based protein. Here are a few options on where to find different spirazliers varying in price: William-Sonoma, Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Amazon
- 2 handfuls of kale, rinsed, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 zucchini, rinsed, ends cut off and spirazlied
- Coconut and olive oil
- Seasonings, to taste (salt, black pepper, garlic, paprika, Italian seasoing)
- Chopped walnuts or toasted sesame seeds
- 1/3 avocado, chopped
- Spiralize zucchini. Sprinkle noodles with a little salt (to extract water) and let them sit for 5-10 minutes. Squeeze out excess water and dry with paper towel.
- Heat medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Massage kale with coconut oil and add to pan. Allow kale to cook for a 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini noodles to pan and mix together. Optional: add about 1 teaspoon olive oil and stir well (I did this- made it a little tastier).
- Add seasonings of choice (I used pink Himalayan salt, pepper, garlic and paprika) and saute about 3-5 minutes.
- Pour kale and noodles into a bowl. Top with chopped walnuts/sesame seeds/pine nuts and avocado. Enjoy!