Being a big fan of Mexican food & vegetarian options, I decided one morning to try and recreate Chipotle’s newest vegetarian option, sofritas. It didn’t seem like it would be that hard to prepare, and like I thought, it was very simple & quick to make! Requiring only a few ingredients, this inexpensive dish makes for several easy meals during the week.
- 1 package extra-firm tofu (I bought organic from Trader Joe’s)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (Trader Joe’s)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional, I added for extra heat)
- White or brown rice
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Feta cheese
- Avocado, diced
- Dollop of Sour cream or plain Greek Yogurt
- Remove tofu from package and wrap in a towel. I put a plate on top of the wrapped tofu to help lightly remove excess moisture. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- In a medium pan over medium heat, pour in about 1/3 – 1/2 cup salsa.
- Cube tofu into small 1″ squares & add to pan. Toss with salsa. Once tofu is coated, add in black beans and mix together. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle about 1/3 of taco seasoning into pan & mix. Break up tofu into small pieces with a spoon as you mix everything together. Add in jalapeno & garlic and stir. Cook for another 5-6 minutes. Once heated, taste and adjust seasonings. I added a little crushed red pepper and black pepper.
- I put some chopped romaine in a bowl, top with a little rice, tofu/black bean mixture, chopped avocado & more salsa. Pairs great with tortilla chips!